Disney Parks

MsMistoffelees

Disney Parks

Postby MsMistoffelees » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:25 pm

For a while I was planning to apply for a job at Disney World, since I've wanted to be one of the characters there for most of my life. Turns out I can't get hired there (not because of paruresis- it's because I apparently don't have the "Disney Look," and the issue is related to a natural, permanent part of my appearance, so everyone should keep this kind of problem in mind if you try to work there- if anyone wants specifics I'll tell you in a private message), but I did a ton of research about working there before really pursuing the job, and it turns out they only drug test people in transportation positions. Basically, as long as you don't want to drive the buses or boats or run the monorail, Disney will hire you, even as a paruretic. Just thought this would be good information for anyone else who has dreamed of working there but thought they wouldn't be able to because of drug testing.
Jellicle Cats and black and white
Jellicle Cats are rather small
Jellicle Cats use the litterbox
But some can't publicly use it at all!

Adam506

Re: Disney Parks

Postby Adam506 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:15 am

You probably should get down on yourself for this one. As this is the Disney Look:

If you don't look like this, then yes it may be tough to find a job at a Disney park. :)

MsMistoffelees

Postby MsMistoffelees » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Adam506 wrote:You probably should get down on yourself for this one. As this is the Disney Look:

If you don't look like this, then yes it may be tough to find a job at a Disney park. :)

That's funny, but not what they mean by "Disney Look." That's what they call their really strict guidelines for the appearance of all their employees (yes, even including those in the character costumes). If I wanted to work there, one of the conditions is that I would have to dye my hair a lighter color, since apparently naturally dark hair isn't "appropriate to my skin tone." (I'm about as light as a piece of paper, but my hair naturally is almost black, which isn't considered "natural-looking" enough by their standards.) There's also a number of other problems (my glasses aren't within their guidelines, my haircut isn't considered feminine enough, and I don't wear any makeup, for instance). I personally can't deal with that level of ridiculousness, so I just choose to find employment elsewhere.
Jellicle Cats and black and white

Jellicle Cats are rather small

Jellicle Cats use the litterbox

But some can't publicly use it at all!

RichardUSA
Founder

Postby RichardUSA » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm sorry they aren't for you or you for them, but it is great that they don't test folks unless they are involved in transportation. That's one of the few times I've heard of a major employer actually being sensible about this stuff.

From an economic point of view it really doesn't make sense to test every employee. Statistically, less than 1% of job applicants will test positive and no one knows at all how many of those are ah, "refusal to test." The MJ druggies lay off the weed for a few days and test clean since its not addicting, and the hard core users of really dangerous stuff are too screwed up to go looking for a job anyway, and they are sort of obvious at an interview, I'd think. Maybe heroin users could slip by, but maybe so what.

My whole attitude about this drug stuff was changed years back when 60 Minutes or maybe it was a different TV magazine, reported on a HS Principal who was highly respected, did her job exceptionally well, and was a secret heroin addict. I figured if she was that functional, it was really none of anyone's business. That was my epiphany if you would, and when I decided that my objections were about more than "the how" of drug testing-- though that is IPA's focus and as an organization we don't take my position.

Adam506

Postby Adam506 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 pm

MsMistoffelees wrote:I personally can't deal with that level of ridiculousness, so I just choose to find employment elsewhere.

If I had to change my hair color, fake bake (which I definitely would as I am pastey as well), and shave every morning I don't think it would be worth it either.

@Richard

Very good point.

Return to “Shy Bladder Friendly Employers (Public Forum)”