RECOMMEND:Georgia Pacific - Saliva Testing

philnw

RECOMMEND:Georgia Pacific - Saliva Testing

Postby philnw » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:24 pm

All,
IPA Talk Forum highly recommends Georgia Pacific, a Top 500 Company as an employer due to its selection of Salvia Drug Testing over urine testing.

Here are some quotes from MRO Today:

http://www.mrotoday.com/mro/archives/ex ... ugTest.htm

As one of the world’s leading manufacturers and distributors of tissue, paper, packaging, building products, pulp and related chemicals, Georgia-Pacific has a strong commitment to safety. Part of Georgia-Pacific’s safety model is its drugs-of-abuse testing program, which the 75-year-old company has implemented since the early 1980s.....

Although Georgia-Pacific has been drug testing its staff of 71,000 employees working throughout 600 locations for more than two decades, this past year the company switched to a new innovative oral fluid drugs-of-abuse testing program.

Georgia-Pacific is now using OraSure Technologies’ Intercept oral fluid drug test, the only FDA-cleared, laboratory-based oral fluid drug testing system that detects the "NIDA-5" drug panel (marijuana, cocaine, opiates, PCP and amphetamines).

“Before we knew of Intercept, we relied on urine, blood or breath tests to screen our employees for drug usage,â€￾ Stone said. “Everyone is very happy about throwing away those sample cups.â€￾...

“We conducted an internal study and learned that when an employee went for a urine-based drug test, we lost between two and two-and-half hours of an employee’s productive time and of the human resources staff member’s time because the employee has to be accompanied to the off-site testing location,â€￾ Stone said. “Intercept allows us to simply test the employee in the human resources office, and within 15 minutes, the employee is back on the job."

Georgia-Pacific also found Intercept test results to be more actionable than urine tests.

“In the past, if employees took a urine test because there was reasonable suspicion for cause, often the results would not show up positive because the drug did not metabolize in their system,â€￾ Stone said. “But with an oral fluid test, you don’t have to wait for the drug to metabolize. We are having tremendous success in identifying positives through Intercept, especially in probable cause situations.â€￾

Company-wide acceptance of new drug test
The transition of the oral fluid drug test into Georgia-Pacific’s drug testing program was seamless. As a result, Georgia-Pacific has been receiving positive feedback from its human resources team, employees and unions.

IPA commends Georgia Pacific's shy bladder friendly policies and recommends them as an employer to be proud of.

burmik

Re: RECOMMEND:Georgia Pacific - Saliva Testing

Postby burmik » Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am

I work for Georgia Pacific. One of the reasons I chose to work there was because of the saliva test. They do random drug testing, which required a urine sample until late last year. Now the random drug test is also a saliva test, at least at my plant.

RichardUSA
Founder

Postby RichardUSA » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:32 am

burmik wrote:I work for Georgia Pacific. One of the reasons I chose to work there was because of the saliva test. They do random drug testing, which required a urine sample until late last year. Now the random drug test is also a saliva test, at least at my plant.

Both, or either? Some employers are using both in safety sensitive jobs to prevent cheating on urine tests.
IF GP is insisting on using both then they are not a shy-bladder friendly employer.

Please clarify.

Also, they are required to use urine, last I heard, for the folks who actually work in transportation per DOT rules.

burmik

Postby burmik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:28 pm

The initial drug screen to gain employment at GP is a saliva test. As per our Union contract, enacted at the end of 2012, all random drug testing shall be by saliva test. Perhaps that's just at my plant here in Ohio. But any accidents in our plant which require drug testing, like a tow motor accident, are still done by urine testing, usually at a local hospital if our nurse isnt on the premises. Still, it's a very friendly place to work for people with our condition.

RichardUSA
Founder

Postby RichardUSA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:09 pm

burmik wrote:The initial drug screen to gain employment at GP is a saliva test. As per our Union contract, enacted at the end of 2012, all random drug testing shall be by saliva test. Perhaps that's just at my plant here in Ohio. But any accidents in our plant which require drug testing, like a tow motor accident, are still done by urine testing, usually at a local hospital if our nurse isnt on the premises. Still, it's a very friendly place to work for people with our condition.

This makes sense, but after an accident blood could be used in lieu of urine. Going that route would make
GP a very very paruresis friendly place and would not diminish their accident investigation. OR, they could
offer an option-- urine or blood.

I'm sure that in the summer time there are people who work outside, have some sort of accident, but can't produce a
urine specimen just because they are quite dehydrated and even drinking 30 ounces (I forget the exact DOT regulations limit but I think it no longer is 40 ounces) still may not be able to produce urine in a timely manner. In this situation a blood test--if the employee were willing-- would solve a problem.

Bottom line, there really is no place for urine testing in the workplace. This stuff, like so many things we do and society mostly doesn't question, just got off on the wrong foot during the Viet Nam era with all the hysteria about
troops smoking weed.

Return to “Shy Bladder Friendly Employers (Public Forum)”